What is an anxiety attack? The definition of an anxiety attack is a sudden episode of intense fear and worry that can come out of nowhere. This feeling has physical effects, such as increased heart rate, sweating, trembling, or difficulty breathing. Anxiety attacks are more than just feeling anxious: they are an overwhelming sense of dread and panic that can be debilitating for those experiencing them. If you recognize signs or symptoms of anxiety in your life or in someone you love, Honey Lake Clinic is here to help.
Those who have experienced anxiety attacks will tell you they can strike at random, feel awful, and are vivid and frightening. There are many physical, psychological, and emotional symptoms of anxiety attacks. Generally, a number of these symptoms combine to create an intense period of fear or feelings of doom lasting anywhere from an instant to several minutes.
Our Greenville, Florida, anxiety treatment program can support you in managing and improving your mental health. Call 888.428.0562 to learn more about treatment that supports your mind, body, and spirit.
Understanding Anxiety Attacks
Because everyone is different and each body is somewhat chemically unique, anxiety attacks affect different people differently. Consequently, anxiety attack symptoms can vary from person to person in kind, number, severity, and frequency. One person may experience only a few symptoms, another many, and each to different levels of intensity.
Typical symptoms of an anxiety attack include:
- Sudden, overwhelming fear
- Fear of imminent death or impending doom
- Heart palpitations or a racing heartbeat (sometimes accompanied by chest pain)
- Chills or hot flashes
- Sweating, trembling, or dizziness
- Numbness or tingling in the limbs or entire body
- Shortness of breath
- Sensation of choking
When these symptoms occur suddenly and out of the blue, they can be terrifying. Since anxiety attacks tend to be unpredictable, it can make them hard to prepare for or control.
What Causes Anxiety Attacks?
Research has yet to discover a primary cause for anxiety attacks; however, certain conditions have been identified that put people at increased risk:
- Gender – About two-thirds of those who experience anxiety attacks are women
- Genetic predisposition – Anxiety is more likely to occur in those with a family history of anxiety disorders
- Stress levels – Chronic stress or traumatic events can increase the risk of experiencing an anxiety attack
- Substance abuse – Drugs and alcohol can both cause and worsen the symptoms of anxiety
- Physical health conditions – Medical issues such as chronic illness or the side effects of medications can contribute to anxiety attacks
Because they are such powerful and painful experiences, anxiety attack sufferers can feel out of control. However, there is good news: anxiety attacks can be managed and treated through a variety of methods.
Treatment for Anxiety Attacks
The most effective treatment for anxiety attacks is professional help that is tailored to your individual needs. Anxiety attacks can impact the mind, body, and spirit, making it important to find an approach that involves comprehensive care. Through treatment with a focus on God’s love and grace, Honey Lake Clinic in Greenville, Florida, offers holistic care that is customized to meet your needs.
Call Honey Lake Clinic Today for Anxiety Treatment
If you or someone you love is living with anxiety attacks, Honey Lake Clinic can help. Our experienced doctors and staff strongly believe that faith-based treatment, encompassing spiritual, physical, and mental health, will provide you with the long-lasting tools and knowledge to find happiness and wholeness again. It’s time to reclaim your story—call us today to learn more.