Does Insurance Cover Addiction Treatment?
Many Americans suffer with substance abuse disorders and need help paying for treatment. The good news is that it is usually possible to find addiction treatment your insurance plan will cover.
Insurance typically covers substance abuse treatment, including inpatient services, outpatient services, psychotherapy and counseling.
The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 stipulates that insurance companies cannot discriminate against or deny coverage to individuals with substance use disorders. The Affordable Care Act of 2010 classified mental health and addiction services as essential health benefits.
This means your insurance company has to treat mental health and substance abuse treatment the same way they treat regular health treatment needs. That said, every insurance company has a different coverage plans which can be tailored to the individual’s needs. Depending on the state you live in and your health plan, you can find out what services are covered.
You’ll need to speak to your insurer to understand your benefits related to specific treatment options. It is important to ask about copayments, deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums.
How Much Does It Cost?
If you or a loved one needs treatment for an addiction there are many questions to ask related to the program’s cost. A lot of variables go into the price. Here are some things you’ll need to consider as you weigh cost options—some of which will be addressed by your insurance plan, some of which may not:
- What type of treatment is this? Inpatient care tends to cost more than outpatient care, because they provide so much more in the way of life needs, meals, lodging and activities, as part of around-the-clock care.
- Where is the facility located? Is it near home? Far away? Are you paying more to be in the mountains? At the beach? What travel costs need to be considered?
- How large is the program? Is it a larger program with more participants or a smaller, offering more individualized treatment?
- What types of treatments are provided? Does it include detox? Medically-assisted treatments? Therapy options? Comprehensive aftercare?
- How long is the program? The costs associated with a 30-day program will differ significantly from a 90-day program. What it the right fit for you or your loved one?
- What amenities are offered? While this isn’t a vacation, having certain amenities available can be helpful. A swimming pool, on-sight gym, nutrition counseling, massage therapy, other therapies—there are costs involved with amenities.
Affordable Addiction Treatment Centers
Certain addiction treatment centers are more affordable than others. Depending on your specific needs, there are also treatment centers that can be affordable on their own, apart from your insurance coverage. According to Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), there are low-cost and even free treatment centers available. According to SAMHSA—
- 4% of substance abuse treatment centers in America are free
- 8% of treatment facilities are “partially free, operating with a sliding fee scale”
You can also call treatment facilities and ask an admissions representative to help you understand and verify your coverage. Admissions representatives should be able to give you an estimate of how much your treatment will cost and how much your insurance will cover without requiring you to commit to treatment at their facility.
Sorting this out can be overwhelming. At Honey Lake Clinic, we can help. Have a confidential conversation with an admissions counselor, right now. Please call us at (888) 837-6577.