How Do I Get Rid of Religious OCD Thoughts?
Obsessive compulsive disorder, or OCD, is a psychological disorder characterized by unwanted, intrusive thoughts (obsessions) and the behaviors (compulsions) sufferers use to try to relieve the anxiety.
Religious OCD (also known as scrupulosity) is a type of OCD in which a person suffers from obsessive religious doubts, fears, unwanted thoughts and images, resulting in compulsive religious behaviors and rituals, reassurance seeking, and avoidance.
Someone with religious OCD experiences persistent negative or anxious thoughts about their spiritual life.
These obsessions can interfere with and undermine their quality of life.
Worst of all, religious OCD can turn their faith, which should be a source of comfort and community, into a trigger for anxiety.
How do you get rid of religious obsessive thoughts and compulsions?
A healthy, balanced lifestyle can play a big role in easing anxiety and worry and can help relieve your OCD symptoms. Many people discover, however, that their distressing thoughts are not something that they have (or can have) control over.
People suffering with religious OCD can find relief through therapy.
In therapy, you can learn to manage your anxiety in ways that don’t undermine your quality of life.
Several types of therapy can be helpful in the treatment of religious OCD:
- Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy (ERP). In ERP, you are exposed to your fear and then prevented from acting on your compulsion. Through this process, you can learn to accept uncertainty and feel less pressure to act compulsively.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). This type of therapy can help with many forms of anxiety, including anxiety related to OCD. Cognitive behavioral therapy can help you detect, understand, and push back against automatic negative thoughts.
- Biblical Counseling. Biblical counseling incorporates spiritual elements such as Bible study and prayer. This can be helpful in correcting spiritual misperceptions.
- Family Therapy: When religious OCD undermines family life, family counseling can help. When religious OCD threatens a marriage, couples counseling can also help.
If you need help with religious OCD, you don’t have to cope with anxious thoughts and compulsions alone.
Therapy can offer rapid, lasting improvements. We can help.
The Honey Lake Clinic Difference
At Honey Lake Clinic, our experienced staff, licensed therapists, psychologists, and psychiatrists understand that effective treatment for religious OCD requires a multifaceted, faith-based approach, involving healing of the body, mind, and spirit.
Our unique treatment programs specifically and deeply address all three spheres, offering each patient his or her greatest chance at wholeness and transformative growth.
This holistic approach and a combination of key factors makes Honey Lake Clinic’s mental health program different from the others in the country.
You’ll benefit from Honey Lake’s—
- Integration of a Bible-based approach and sound psychological principles
- Experienced, compassionate, and highly trained clinical staff
- Individualized treatment with a low caseload of patients per therapist
- Practical curriculum focused on decision-making mechanics and skills
- Emphasis on holistic healing of the mind, body, and spirit
The Good News
With the right help and resources, you can enjoy a life beyond these obsessive fears and compulsive responses. You can be free from this cycle.
Let us help you regain control of your mind and thoughts.