Honey Lake Clinic is committed to the safety and well-being of its patients amid COVID-19 concerns LEARN MORE

 In Alcohol

What are the 6 Signs of Alcohol Poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning can be deadly. 6 Americans die from alcohol poisoning every day. It can occur quickly; intoxication can become alcohol poisoning with little advance warning. Knowing the signs of alcohol poisoning can save a life.

What is alcohol poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning occurs when too much alcohol is consumed in too short a window of time, flooding the bloodstream to the point where areas of the brain that control functions like your breathing, heart rate, and body temperature are affected.

What happens to your body when you have alcohol poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is often connected with binge drinking in the U.S. The typical definition of binge drinking is consuming four or more drinks in a two-hour period for women, and five or more in the same period of time for men. The amount of time it takes for alcohol to impact our systems, however, can vary based upon many factors such as body weight, age, sex, unknown allergies to alcohol, hydration, and the amount of food you’ve eaten.

It can be very difficult to know when alcohol use has crossed the line and become alcohol abuse or alcoholism. If you’d like to speak to someone confidentially, Call (855) 222-4756.

Get Help Today.

We are here to help you through every aspect of recovery.
Let us call you to learn more about our treatment options.

How to Recognizing the Signs of Alcohol Poisoning

Here are 6 signs to look for:

  • Confusion
    A person experiencing the effects of alcohol poisoning may become disoriented, confused as to where they are, who they’re with, and what they’re doing.
  • Upset Stomach, Nausea and Vomiting
    Nausea and vomiting have long been associated with intoxication; sort of a sophomoric initiation or fraternal rite-of-passage. The risk is considerable, however, because when you are severely intoxicated, your gag reflex slows which can lead to choking.
  • Slow Breathing and Heartrate
    Alcohol is a depressant which means it can affect brain and nervous system function to slow breathing, heart rate, and other important systems. Consuming excessive amounts of alcohol in short windows of time can negatively impact several of your body’s essential functions.
  • Low Body Temperature
    Brain functions which regulate your body’s temperature may also be affected. Alcohol widens blood vessels, allowing more blood flow to your skin. This leads to the sensation many people have of “getting warm” when they drink. That feeling of warmth, however, can mask a drop in body temperature to dangerous levels, leading to hypothermia.
  • Blue Lips or Pale Skin
    Related to being cold—a sudden drop in body temperature and/or hypothermia—blue lips, fingertips or nails, clammy, pale or flushed skin can be recognizable physical signs of alcohol poisoning.
  • Passing out
    Blackouts and losing consciousness are obvious signs of alcohol poisoning and should be taken very seriously—especially in connection with nausea and vomiting as someone who is unconscious and with a slowed gag reflex is in grave danger of choking to death on their own vomit.

Get Help Today.

We are here to help you through every aspect of recovery.
Let us call you to learn more about our treatment options.

What to do if you have alcohol poisoning?

DO:

  • Remain calm.
  • Ensure they stop drinking.
  • Stay with them.
  • Keep them comfortable.
  • Make sure they remain conscious and responsive. Call for emergency help if they cannot.

DON’T:

  • Give them coffee. Caffeine is dehydrating.
  • Make them eat. See upset stomach, nausea, vomiting and choking mentions above.
  • Attempt to have them “walk it off.” Impeded balance and physical coordination may lead to falls and/or injury.
  • Give them any medications. Combining drugs with alcohol can worsen the condition.
  • Encourage them to “sleep it off.” Keep them awake and responsive through the crisis.

How to get help for Alcohol Poisoning

Professional medical treatment for alcohol poisoning is essential. If you or someone you love is experiencing alcohol poisoning, seek emergency attention. Once the crisis is averted, get the kind of help that addresses the issues behind the alcohol consumption; the kind of help that brings healing and recovery.

At Honey Lake Clinic, we can help you or your loved one recover from alcohol abuse and/or addiction. We provide medically monitored detox for our patients, assisting them through alcohol withdrawal as symptoms can be life-threatening in some instances. Following detox, we offer comprehensive therapy, getting to the issues behind the substance use, leading to healing and wholeness.

Recognizing you need help is a vitally important first step. Let us help you take the next steps to recovery. Call Honey Lake Clinic (855) 222-4756 email info@honeylake.clinic or visit www.honeylake.clinic.

Get Help Today.

We are here to help you through every aspect of recovery.
Let us call you to learn more about our treatment options.

Recent posts:

Related posts:

We are here to help! Call us at (888) 334-7317