Co-Founder and Chancellor of Honey Lake Clinic and Director of Excellence in Christian Psychiatry at Honey Lake Clinic
Karl Benzio, MD
Karl Benzio, MD, is a Christian psychiatrist, Board Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. Dr. Karl has held several health system clinical director and management positions to infuse his unique integration of spiritual faith with science to treat thousands as well as write, consult, and serve as frequent media guest expert and conference speaker addressing the impact of a wide range of Behavioral Health issues and how to bring God’s healing to individuals, families, society, and social policy issues.
Education and Expertise
B.S.E. in Biomedical Engineering with focus in Central Nervous System imaging from Duke University; M.D. from Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School; and Psychiatric Residency at UC–Irvine. Expertise is psychological and spiritual principles into Decision-Making Sciences with its endless application to every facet of psychological health and functioning for individuals, families, communities, and our society.
Combining his training with experiences as a physician (Body), psychiatrist (Mind), a devoted follower of Christ (Spirit), a biomedical engineer (Brain circuitry), and a sinner who used to drink to excess, Dr. Karl developed a unique cutting-edge BioPsychoSpiritual model focusing on the Spiritual Discipline of Decision-Making. His SPEARS tool not only reveals the cause of but also unpacks and clarifies the spirit-mind-body treatment for all our psychological and spiritual struggles so we can access the psychospiritual healing and awakening Jesus taught, role-modeled, and died for so we could be blessed with.
and Unique Activities:
Professional Highlights and Unique Activities:
- Practicing psychiatrist since 1990 and blessed to help tens of thousands directly find healing and to learn so much from so many patients and colleagues.
- First psychiatrist invited by Iraqi Minister of Health into post-Hussein Iraq to lead a multidisciplinary team to consult and teach Decision-Making and Treatment curriculum to Muslim Iraqi national healthcare providers and Christian churches even though his curriculum is Christian.
- Led a team facilitating healing workshops to mentors and children who were traumatized and tortured victims of Joseph Kony’s ruthless abuses in Uganda and Sudan.
- Expert testimony for the U.S. President’s Bioethics Committee and a numerous state legislatures on various social policy issues including Right of Conscience, Physician Assisted Suicide, Same Sex Marriage issues, Gender Identity Issues, Prolife issues, Opioid Epidemic, Suicide, and other BH complexities.
- Karl’s Life Change Radio Minute airs daily on over 425 radio stations.
- Writes the unique Stepping Stones Daily Devotional impacting many around the world.
- Led BH Committee of unique Bux-Mont Katrina Relief Effort where our county in PA adopted Katrina devastated Hancock County, MS, providing several millions of dollars financially and countless hours of professional and labor services over several years. Effort recognized by U.S. Congress and Salvation Army for our efforts and as a template for aid in future catastrophes.
- Serves on Focus on the Family’s Physician Resource Council.
- Consultant to White House regarding faith-based initiatives and solutions for societal issues.
- Pennsylvania State Director of the American Academy of Medical Ethics 2010 – 2019.
Dr. Karl passionately continues the Behavioral Health Revolution Jesus – the Great Physician and Wonderful Counselor – started, revealing science’s validation of the Bible, showing the Bible has the answers for healing our mind and transforming our life, and helping Christians become Lighthouse’s so others would see and experience God’s power, love, forgiveness, grace, and peace through our Biblical living.
Current Professional Activity
Co-Founder and Medical Director of Honey Lake Clinic, a unique fully Christian owned and staffed subacute behavioral health residential treatment facility healing Mood, Anxiety, Trauma, and Dual Diagnosis issues using cutting edge depth and integration of psychological, spiritual, and biological interventions in a 30-90 day treatment course in an idyllic and peaceful setting.
Most importantly, Karl loves Jesus and the Bible, is married to his best friend, Martine for 28 years, is a father to 3 incredible daughters – Dominique, 27 (husband Adam), Nicole, 25 (husband Connor), and Gigi, 19 – loves travel, psychologically intriguing TV shows/movies, anything about decision-making, and sports, especially Pittsburgh and Duke teams.
Licenses and Accreditation