What are 5 Benefits of Equine-Assisted Therapy?
Are you wondering what the benefits of Equine-Assisted Therapy are?
Practiced around the world, Equine-Assisted Therapy (also known as Horse Therapy and Equine Therapy) has become a widely used therapeutic method for treating a variety of psychological, mental, and mood disorders, and even addiction.
It has been successful treating patients experiencing—
- Behavioral difficulties
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Major life changes such as trauma, grief, divorce and loss
- Addiction and recovery
At Honey Lake Clinic, equine therapy is used in correlation with other forms of treatment and education, offering you a deeper awareness of yourself and a perfect environment in which to explore your feelings, behaviors and interactions with others.
What are the Benefits?
Equine therapy is proven effective in helping clients develop accountability, responsibility, self-confidence, problem-solving ability, and self-control. Working with horses can help you develop several skills for healthier living, things like—
- Identifying and coping with troubling thoughts and feelings
- Communicating better with others
- Setting healthier boundaries
- Overcoming fears
- Building trust
Here are 5 Areas of Specific Benefit
Equine-Assisted therapy will help you improve vertical and horizontal balance, muscle tone, motor coordination, independent movement of the pelvis and shoulders, all of which are essential for enable healthy walking habits. Riding provides the same upper body sensations as walking. Research also confirms equine therapy’s effectiveness in lowering blood pressure and heart rate, and alleviating stress.
Equine-Assisted therapy will help you find a sense of general well-being, improved self-esteem and self-confidence. The therapy can help you reduce feelings of insecurity and fear that in turn will help you gain more confidence in everyday life. Research also confirms equine therapy’s effectiveness in reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Equine-Assisted therapy will help improve your attention and concentration, essential qualities for learning skills. Overcoming the space-time domain presented by the therapy promotes thinking.
Equine-Assisted therapy promotes the development of respect, responsibility, perseverance and loving toward animals. The positive attitude that the student acquires, improves family and social integration. Equine therapy is proven effective in helping clients to develop accountability, responsibility, self-confidence, problem-solving ability, and self-control.
Their imposing size and strength, each with their individual personalities, will make working with these magnificent creatures an ideal setting in which to reveal thought and behavior patterns related to the issues that have brought you into treatment. Equine-Assisted therapy helps you get outside of yourself, and be fully present in the moment.
Equine-Assisted Therapy at Honey Lake Clinic
There are several nuances within the equine therapy program at Honey Lake which differentiate our program from others. Here are a few to consider—
- Spiritual truths and principles are applied as clients work towards a point of ‘join up’ or connection with the animal. This aids you in drawing parallels between your own circumstances and your relationship with the horse.
- Techniques from different models in equine therapy are employed. Whereas many programs follow one model or another, at Honey Lake we employ elements of different equine therapy approaches—and even techniques our experienced therapists and staff have developed—to best meet your individualized treatment plan.
- Our clients have the opportunity to be a part of a horse’s rehabilitation at Honey Lake. You will find added fulfillment in being a part of the process to help horses move from an equine therapy animal to trail-riding horses, and eventually on their way to a good home.
- The equine therapy program at Honey Lake can include work with larger draft horses. You will benefit greatly from the opportunity to connect with such powerful, yet gentle creatures.
At Honey Lake, we’re committed to providing you with compassionate care and the practical equipping necessary to significantly improve the condition which brought you to our program. A faith-informed model, experienced staff, licensed professional caregivers, individualized treatment—all in a beautiful and tranquil 650-acre lakeside setting—we’re here for you.
- Anorexia Nervosa StatisticsMar 16, 2019 3 min read
- Heroin Statistics and FactsJan 12, 2019 3 min read
- What are the Causes and Warning Signs of Bulimia Nervosa?Dec 07, 2018 3 min read
- What Does Alcohol Do to Your Brain?Nov 17, 2018 3 min read